The ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system implementation is one of the most difficult information technology tasks the enterprise might do. The reasons:
⚫ the ERP system becomes often the heart of the critical business processes,
⚫ the functionality affects the entire information environment of the enterprise,
⚫ the implementation and maintenance costs are significant,
⚫ the return on investment can be achieved provided that the solution and its implementation is incorporated into the development strategy,
⚫ the implementation requires involving not only the key employees, but also the top management.
The process can be divided into 3 steps:
1) selecting the provider and the solution
The first two of them require rare competencies. The industry business process knowledge at one side and the trends in information technology development at the other.
Therefore, companies often choose to hire an external consultant and / or project manager who will perform the process efficiently and safely.
Entity consultants offer you their experience and creativity.
Taking into account over 20 years of experience in implementing ERP systems, we recommend our customers the following steps during system selection:
1) Agree and document the business requirements.
2) Define the scope of the project and if possible split it into some steps.
3) Identify the ERP application interactions with the other software within your enterprise and the business partner systems.
4) Delevop a list of selection criterias and assign each the importance weight.
5) Prepare a potential suppliers list.
6) Evaluate solutions in terms of selection criteria.
7) Select a short list of the system suppliers.
8) Meet the suppliers for the presentations of the selected systems' functionality.
9) Check supplier's references.
10) Choose the best supplier and solution, implementation company, ownership model.
The ERP providers usually offer the implementation methodology. They differ in the details and terminology. However, their structure is the same.
⚫ Business Requirements Research
⚫ Solution Concept Review
⚫ Agree initial Scope, Resources, Timing
⚫ Implementation process training
⚫ Appoint Team Members
⚫ Agree Governance structure
⚫ Agree Communication rules
⚫ Project launch
⚫ Basic Key User Training : ERP system modules
⚫ Map Business processes to Functions
⚫ Define data input / output
⚫ Define workflow
⚫ Analyse Gaps between the requirements and functionality
⚫ Test environment configuration
⚫ Test data entry
⚫ Documents design
⚫ Reports design
⚫ Interface set-up
⚫ Prepare testing scenarios
⚫ Real data upload and entry
⚫ End User Training
⚫ Functional testing
⚫ Performance testing
⚫ System Tuning
⚫ Production start planning
⚫ Productive environment configuration
⚫ Data migration
⚫ Production start
⚫ Production start support
⚫ Closing first month support
⚫ Quality control
⚫ Project closing Summary